SPRING CLEANING - CLOSET EDITION

April 20, 2015



Spring cleaning, it's not exactly my favourite job to do, but when it comes to my closet I don't really mind sorting it out for the new season. I love to re-organise everything, put away my winter clothes and take my spring wardrobe out. It's like having a whole new wardrobe, except you don't really. Here's how I like to get it done.


Before

Step 1

First things first, I like to go through my closet and take all the winter clothes out that I am sick off, haven't worn in a while or just can't wear anymore because they are too warm. Then I put them away in vacuum storage bags.

Step 2

Time to get the spring clothes out! Before I hang/ fold all of my clothes, I like to wash them because they have been locked away for a long time and can be quite smelly (mine smelled like plastic.. gotta love those plastic bins & bags). 

Step 3

This is probably the most time consuming step: organising everything by colour. I have always organised my clothes by colour, but since my wardrobe is visible, I like to pay some extra attention to this step. There are many ways in which you can do this, but I decided to hang whites on the right side and work my way up roughly according to the colours of the rainbow (red, orange, yellow, green blue, indigo, violet). Then I hung my greys and blacks on the left side, because it is closer to the wall and I feel like by having white on the right side rather than black, my closet looks more open. 

Step 4

Finally, I like to go through my clothes and make a list of new things I need to buy. There are many items which fall under the category of 'wants', but there are also some which fall under the category of 'needs', aka basics. A good pair of shorts, a new bathing suit, a fresh pair of converse and a denim jacket are on top of that list. But, the most difficult part is yet to come: going shopping and not buying everything but the items on my list. But, I have a new rule: buy something, toss another thing. Let's see if I can stick to it.. 


After


Have you spring cleaned your closet yet?



No comments:

Post a Comment