SO, HOW'S LIFE?

November 16, 2014

If you've been reading my blog for some time now you will know that I lived in Ireland for four years and moved back to the Netherlands. A lot of things have changed for me - I basically created a whole new life for me. So, I thought it was about time to get up close and personal.

So, how's life now? Is a question I have been asked a lot lately. People want to know how long I have been back for, if my parents moved back as well, if I'm going to college, where I am living, do I miss Ireland.. the list goes on. The practical questions are easy to answer, I've been back for a few months, my parents didn't move with me, I'm in college, living with my auntie and no, I don't miss Ireland. That last one usually comes as a bit of a shock to some people. But I don't understand why - it was never my choice to move over there. Sure I had my friends, parents and dog, but my family and 'real' friends have always been here. Quite frankly, I only talk to a few people from Ireland on a regular bases now - my best friend and my parents. To be honest, I'm not even surprised. You just find out who your real friends are through experiences like this - I honestly feel like every person only has a handful of people who truly care about them. But, enough with the heavy talk.

Another question I have been asked as well is if I am happy here. The answer is yes, finally! I went through a very difficult time in Ireland and now I can honestly say that I am enjoying life again. I love the freedom I have here in the Netherlands, I am enjoying college, love being around the people that I have known for years, met so many amazing new friends and most of all, love being independent. I'm glad I chose to make this move, even though I left my parents in a different country. They are only a plane ride away, so it's not too bad. The only thing I wish I could have done is bring my dog, but I guess I'll just have to kidnap her the next time I'm there.

I always talk about my time in Ireland in a negative way, but now that I finally got out of there I can see a few positive things that have happened to me. First of all, I grew up - I'm not a little girl anymore! I learnt some very valuable life lessons and also had the time in the world (literally) to find out who I really am. I know it sounds all philosophical and cliché, but it's true. Finally, I do appreciate the fact that I learned how to speak English, with Shakespeare, Dickinson, Yeats and the whole lot. Even though my Dutch spelling went out the window, I can now write ridiculously long essays and understand even the most annoying Irish accents. Who wouldn't want that?

I guess what I'm trying to say is that even though I've been through a tough time, it all worked out in the end because I did'n't give up. This is what my tattoo symbolises as well - move on, don't look back.

'Move on, don't look back'

Anyway, I feel like this post can almost be classified as an essay now, so congrats if you made it to the end.

If you ever have any questions about this topic, please don't hesitate to contact me! 


No comments:

Post a Comment